Are You Being Served?
(Grace and Favour)
Contributors: Jeffrey Rice, Marty
Peritsky, Eric Martinez, and Keri Holley and KNME-TV.
Last Modified 05/05/2004.
|Their hilarious antics in the Grace Brothers' Department Store entertained
millions of viewers around the world. Now five of the original cast members are reunited
for a brand new uproarious series which sees them adapting to life in the heart of the
English countryside. The sad demise of the nonagenarian "Young" Mr. Grace while
scuba diving in the Caribbean with his nubile nurse, Miss Lovelock, has meant the closure
of Grace Brothers' store. The remaining staff and fellow beneficiary, Miss Lovelock,
discover that the remains of the pension fund is a Tudor Manor House which is being run as
a country hotel.
A trip to the 16th-century building confirms their worst fears- they
are the only guests and the place is going to rack and ruin. The only staff left are local
yokel Farmer Moulterd and his naive but willing young daughter Mavis. Over dinner the
former colleagues decide to chip in and make a go of the establishment where they can at
least live rent free. And so as the 'city slickers' try to adapt to 'county ways', there
are a whole host of new and riotous situations ahead.
- Episode List
- First Series
- Second Series
- Cast List
- Pictures of the Cast
- The pictures are available individually at the bottom of this page. From this link they
are displayed as inlines.
- #1. Young Mr. Grace has died and the store has closed. On behalf of the Pension Fund Mr.
Grace acquired a Tudor Manor house with farm, in the village of Great Tender - which at
the moment is being run as a Country House Hotel. Being the only source of pension money
for the Grace Bros. staff, they all decide to visit for the weekend to investigate its
possibilities. Mr. Humphries receives a surprise in the bedchamber, and we find that Mrs.
Slocombe isn't as cosmopolitan as she would like us to think!
- #2. The staff decide to take over Millstone Manor and run it for themselves to try and
make a profit. The home farm, run by Morris Moulterd and his daughter Mavis, provides
fresh eggs for breakfast, but Mrs. Slocombe gets a shock whilst collecting them. Captain
Peacock and Mrs. Slocombe set off for the village on Mr. Moulterd's pony and trap and end
up in police custody when Mrs. Slocombe attempts to shift a Gypsy cart that blocks the
road. Mr. Humphries and Mavis "to-and-fro" in the woodshed, and Mrs. Slocombe's
pussy, Tiddles, disrupts the local fox hunt.
- #3. Mrs. Slocombe finds herself in court charged with stealing a gypsy cart and speeding
in it. Jessica Lovelock offers Captain Peacock a lift to court on her bike but he declines
after a demonstration and travels with the others on the back of Moulterd's pig cart. Once
in court the staff as character witnesses come forward.
- #4. A group of American tourists, the hotel's first guests, are due to arrive at the
weekend but there are still very few replies to Mr. Rumbold's advert for staff. The only
alternative is for them all to knuckle down and try to make the place presentable. Mr.
Humphries exhibits his natural talent for ratting drains. The staff teasel the sheets, and
interview the two applicants who replied to Mr. Rumbold's help-wanted ad.
- #5. A photograph is organized for the hotel brochure and Miss Lovelock offers to share
her wide experience in hotels as the staff prepare for their new roles. The staff decide
to fill the vacant positions at the Manor themselves, and have their photo taken for an
advertising brochure. Something ghastly (with a bald head and big ears) walks about the
Manor on a dark and stormy night.
- #6. A group of American tourists arrive for the weekend as part of their European tour.
The ex-shopworkers do their best to make their guests feel at home but little do they
realize that they are also expected to provide the cultural entertainment as well as the
Americans are expecting a church service and the traditional Harvest Thanksgiving Dance.
Mr. Enberg's dentures are retrieved from the goat's trough.
- #1. Mrs. Slocombe's pussy gets gummed up. A gun discovered by Captain Peacock brings the
riot police to Millstone Manor, where the criminal records of such notorious characters as
"Knuckles Rumbold" are revealed.
- #2. The staff organize a cricket match against the townspeople. The match is marred by
jealousy of Malcom Heathcliff, who sees Mr. Humphries as a competitor for Mavis'
affections. The highlight of the match is a fantastic dive by Mrs. Slocombe, and the
winning stroke of Mr. Humphries.
- #3. Mrs. Slocombe's long-lost husband pays an unexpected visit after an absence of 42
years, forcing Mrs. Slocombe into hiding. After the staff find that he intends to purchase
the hotel they temporarily expand the staff to make the idea seem unprofitable.
- #4. Mr. Rumbold, Mrs. Slocombe, Mr. Humphries and Miss Brahms plant potatoes. Captain
Peacock removes a petrified pussy from a niche in the attic, precipitating a series of
- #5. A Mongolian tour group gets a cultural extravaganza from the staff at Millstone,
highlighted by ballet by Mr. "Sergei" Humphries and Miss "Natasha"
Lovelock and other selections.
- #6. After Mr. Rumbold complains that he gets no respect, the staff vote to share
authority democratically. The staff play darts against the local team at the village pub.
Captain Peacock leads a commando raid to rescue a flock of sheep.
- Writers- David Croft and Jeremy Lloyd
- Producer/Director- Mike Stephens
- Appearing in all episodes:
- Mr. Humphries -- John Inman
- Mr. Rumbold -- Nicholas Smith
- Miss Brahms -- Wendy Richard
- Captain Peacock -- Frank Thornton
- Mrs. Slocombe -- Mollie Sugden
- Mr. Moulterd -- Billy Burden
- Mavis Moulterd -- Fleur Bennett
- Jessica Lovelock -- Joanne Heywood
- Appearing in a few episodes:
- Miss Prescott (Mr. Thorp's secretary) -- Shirley Cheriton
- Mr. Thorp -- Michael Bilton
- Joseph Lee (Gypsy cart driver) -- Andrew Joseph
- Sir Robert (magistrate) -- Eric Dodson
- Miss Littonwood (lady magistrate) -- Diane Holland
- Malcolm Heathcliff -- Andrew Barclay
- Mrs. Clegghampton -- Maggie Holland
- Mr. Frobisher (tour agent) -- Gregory Cox
- Other players:
- Mr. Slocombe -- Donald Morley
- Mr. Thorp's assistant -- Penny Gonshaw
- Jesse (cricket player) -- Joe Hobbs
- Tourist -- Leonard Lowe
- Fox hunt "whipper-in" -- Martyn Townsend
- Court Bailiff -- Roger Winslett
- Court Clerk -- James Walker
- Constable (in court) -- Geoffrey Greenhill
- Mr. Volpone (job applicant) -- Gordon Peters
- Posh driver -- Jeremy Lloyd (Yes, the writer.)
- Mr. Maxwell (photographer) -- Paul Cooper
- Miss Long Wee (Mongolian interpreter) -- Akemi Otani
- Inspector (riot police) -- Roger Sloman
- Riot police -- Steve Whyment, Richard Lumsden, Steve Edwin
- Museum ticket agent -- Roger Avon
- Museum curator -- Patrick Fyffe
- Percy (village policeman) -- Nick Scott
- Sam (bartender in pub) -- Colin Edwynn
- Henry Heathcliff (Malcolm's dad) -- Paul Humpoletz
- Tiverton resident in pub -- Martin Friend
- The Heathcliff's family dog -- Shirley Brahms
|You may also enjoy:
AYBS? Cast List